Leader's Circle


Statement of Purpose

The purpose of Leaders’ Circle is to support the UUCL  mission and its shared ministries  through collaboration, coordination and communication. 

The Circle is a forum for all congregational leaders to represent their Committees and  mentor leadership development within the church.  These committees and ministries are encouraged to share event plans, new initiatives, concerns and annual  calendars for open discussion, prioritizing and  scheduling.

The experience of regular meetings, common goals, and finding consensus will strengthen trust and function at UUCL.

Points of Pride

UUCL committees are charged with defined tasks. In 2018 & 2019, great growth & change have been accomplished, “above & beyond” regular duties. These achievements are listed below. We are proud UU’s!

ARTFUL LIVING: Lanc. Art Walk site established; Annual fine arts show:  Fall craft show; “United Artists Behind Bars” art; “Invisible Americas” display. Intergenerational En Plein Air event; Soul Collage workshop.

DEVELOPMENT, INVESTMENTS & TRUSTS: Launched Legacy Society to support UUCL endowment with presentation book for all congregants.

FACILITIES:  cost-saving HVAC contract; TV viewing stations to enhance  communication; more LED lighting installed; Paint & Polish all church event; closet reorganization & delegation.

GREEN SANCTUARY: Neighborhood outreach for urban ecosystem; family nature event; movies, lectures, experts on environment & landscaping; Earth Day worship service.

TECHNOLOGY: Expanded website for liberal religion outreach in Lanc.: broadcast capacity for Sunday services

JUSTICE with MERCY: Four worship services on Criminal Justice; hosted “United Artists Behind Bars”; toilet kits to exiting prisoners; books to prison; programs on “Restorative Justice”; underwrote “Voices of Hope & Resilience”; donated to CLF for Prison Ministry; hosted Coalition to Abolish Death by Incarceration group & developing UUCL program; Planning for Safety to welcome supervised sex offenders.

LIBRARY: Refurbished Behrens’ Library for reference collection & Reading Room.

MEMBERSHIP: Pathway to Membership class spring & fall; initiated “Breaking Bread Together” a fellowship holiday event; hosts socials for new members; made Welcome booklet for visitors & guests; offers lunch for after church activities; provides Greeter for Sunday services & coffee hour; updates visitors/members nametags.

MINISTRY: created All Church Covenant; conducts Conflict Resolution; initiated Gratitude for UUCL Heroes; Developmental Ministry evaluation; facilitates church transition forums; establish UUCL Mission/Vision process; assisted MSC; provides Ministry Conversations; preparing for new minister

MUSIC: a process to increase congregants participation in Special Music; concert by Music for Everyone featuring many cultures.

PASTORAL ASSOCIATES: Developed A Pastoral Concern notice; initiated a weekly newsletter column; held Worship service re Pastoral Care ministry.

PERSONNEL: Staff Structure Analysis; added Operations Manager position; assisted Facilities team seeking Sexton & Facilities Volunteer Manager.

WALTERS’ & GARVIN LECTURES: In partnership with Franklin & Marshall College for speakers

WALTERS’ TRUST PROGRAMS: Community Outreach Grants to Af.Am. Historical Soc. Of PA; partnership for Public Health, Camp Will scholarships, Homefields; Social Justice Grants to UUCL Justice w Mercy; Community Bldg. Grants to Web & Wheel, Circles of Trust, Artful Living, Green Sanctuary. Outreach to UU Chico Fellowship for Disaster Relief.

WEB & WHEEL: sponsored Selena Fox for Spring Equinox event; hosted Divination weekend with Nancy Veddar-Shults; celebrated 26 yrs. of Winter Solstice services; sponsored unique Triple Spiral Labyrinth; expanded pagan educational offerings.

Leaders Circle Meeting Minutes

June 9, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Zoom Meeting

Meeting Theme: Candidating Week, Realm training and Communication

Statement of Purpose:

The purpose of Leaders’ Circle is to support the UUCL mission and its shared ministries through collaboration, coordination and communication. The Circle is a forum for all congregational leaders to represent their committees and ministries are encouraged to share event plans, new initiatives, concerns and annual calendars for open discussions, prioritizing and scheduling. The experience of regular meetings, common goals and finding consensus will strengthen trust and function at UUCL.

1. Chalice Lighting : read purpose statement

2. Approve minutes from last meeting – Approved

3. Roll Call/Check In – Round the Circle

a. Gina represents Facilities: She asked about hanging the Side with Love banner. She is available to answer questions re: facility if anyone has them.

b. Lynn represents Justice with Mercy: They missed a few meetings but they are now having zoom meetings. Jim K goes to several Lancaster area groups and brings back info; one group working on getting prisoners released; Kittie meets with a returning citizens group. The committee is updating UUCL policy to allow supervised attendants.

c. Kyki represents Green Sanctuary: They are caring for the native garden over the summer. Ideas for the fall are on hold depending on what format we will be in. We do want to repeat the clothing drive in the fall if we can. No events currently on the calendar.

d. Alan represents the Board: He also wants to discuss the calendar issues. When users go into the building, everyone needs to sign in, thanks to Green Sanctuary for doing so! There are some staff situations that are challenging because job descriptions are changing from open office/church changing to a virtual church. Also, facilitating conversations re: determining when to open the church; current feelings on the process indicate we likely won’t want to reopen until Jan 2021. Also, advocating that we need to improve our calendering process; we likely need a staff member who leads this role.

e. Kay represents the Personnel Committee: They are working on changing job descriptions for changing to a virtual church and new ideas re: who does what for the next 6 months, and a plan for how we return to bricks/mortar later.

f. Linda represents Web & Wheel and Labyrinth: These are on hold. She is working on some updates for the all church email (ACE) for seasonal updates. They are not regularly meeting but they are in contact virtually.

g. David represents the Development, Investment and Trusts committee: Their first meeting since the pandemic is next week. Walter’s Trust money has been migrated

to Vanguard, at a savings of approx. $20k per year. Tentative plans exist for a legacy seminar in November, if the church is open, re: how to give to the church through bequests.

h. Stephanie represents Racial Justice and Healing: They are forming a task force to focus on getting the Black Lives Matter flag represented at the church. We should follow the same process that was followed to get the pride flag up. The board will be getting some letters from RJ&H. We will start working with UU The Vote, and will be asking for volunteers in the future once our plan is ready. We are working on 2 flags right now to be hung at the church. Now is our chance, UUCL, to step up and get involved in the community.

i. Susan shared a report from Artful Living (from Evanna): When we return to beloved church, there will be 3 new chalices purchased by the committee. They are also working on a flag to be presented at virtual General Assembly.

j. Susan also represents Membership: They had planned a new UU class for March 20. We had 20 people signed up to go through the class and start the process to become a member. The committee will work to reactivate that work. There are 3 people who want to join now, who have already been through the class. Most other churches have shut down their membership committees. A church in Arlington photocopied a page of the book they sign in, and have mailed those pages for signature collection to be added to the book later. The membership committee

needs to create a virtual membership class and a way to have members join in covenant with the congregation via zoom.

k. Susan is also reporting from Little Red Hens adhoc group. On August 2, they are designing the Good Goodbye for Rev Barbara. Next big step is to work with Eli and Lenore to talk about the technology.

l. Diane represents the Music Committee: They are currently taking time off, but Carla did gather donations to get 18 additional hymnals. Diane has been helping Eli with some music. The talent show was put on hold. The choir has been getting together on Zoom on Thursdays. They can’t really sing but the community is good. Eli has been really amazing throughout this process. Diane brought a suggestion to include a song of hope, or one relevant to the topic of the week, in each ACE.

m. Laurie represents the Auction Committee. They have space reserved for the Auction this fall, on October 24 so Save the Date just in case we can have an in person Auction.

n. Lenore shared that there is an opportunity for a fun online gathering, and working on an updated date for the Talent Show. Lenore will be doing some visioning for Children’s Faith Development, and thinking of other ways to engage at home via kits. Soul Matters groups, many of them are meeting online and keeping in touch in other ways.

o. Marianne represents the Committee on Ministry: We have worked on Little Sparrows and Realm Training, and we have been committed to facilitating the minutes for this Leader’s Circle. We have also selected the Food Hub for our Share the Plate through the rest of the summer.

p. Laurie reported on the Ministerial Search Committee: They were planning an in person candidating week in September but given the advice from the UUA, they have determined that congregational activities will be virtual. However, they are hoping for some small groups throughout the week. Physical meet and greets do cause challenges for Facilities, so maybe we will rent a tent to be set out back so that these gatherings can be hosted outside. She shared a draft MSC Committee Calendar and asked for feedback. There will also be a Zoom option available for folks who want that option. Lenore offered the ideas of kids getting involved – example, chalking the sidewalk as a welcome for him. Question – Where does the Youth Group fit in (it may be good to give them their own spot)? This information was presented to the Board first, and they are meeting with Rev. Israel soon also to discuss.

q. Laurie Thompson (MSC) continued: She shared candidating week draft schedule for members. These are options for folks in the congregation who are not otherwise involved in committees and haven’t already met him by this point. Alan reported that the Board is thinking about how the congregation will vote remotely on Rev

Israel’s candidacy; need to come up with the equivalent of a paper ballot online. Gina has ideas about celebration after Rev. Israel is accepted by the congregation.

4. Marianne Smith presented a Realm training. Please encourage your committee members to get Realm accounts, and add their picture. They should also know how to adjust notification and privacy settings. Video was captured and will be included with these minutes.

5. Leaders to update on calendaring and other communications

a. We don’t have any great replacement yet – we have work to do!!

6. New Business

a. Hanging the Side with Love banner; wherever Gina wants to put it – it should be on the building, attached high so it doesn’t get ripped off. Go, Gina!

b. Technology help needed – We want to seize the moment, and we have lots of work to do! Tim & Nancy Snyder have been very helpful with the technology so far.

c. Lynn suggested a list be created to help new committee leaders that lists the responsibilities of new committee leaders.

7. Next Meeting:

a. Meet on 1st Wednesdays every 2nd month; August 5 would be the next meeting. There was a conversation to adjust to 1st Tuesdays every 2nd month, please communicate to the group what is your preference.

b. Gina Hart will facilitate the next meeting; Susan Dyson will be the COM representative to take minutes.

Date: 2/5/2020

Present: Evanna Morris. Kay Welty, Garry Lefever, Robert Close, Holly Williams, Linda Dobbins, David Dobbins, Susan Lithgoe, George K., John Snyder, Stephanie Santiago, Laurie Thompson, Suzanne Sturm Dunkle (scribe)

Chalice lighting by Diane Toigo. Diane read some words by Michael Moore.

Committee Reports and updates:

Ministerial Search Committee (MSC)- Laurie Thompson, Stephanie Santiago

  • MSC handed out a report to the LC that included updates on interviewing the candidates and narrowing down the candidates.
  • Tentative – Save the dates of April 26-May3-candidate week as they will have a jam packed week of activities so that everyone will have a chance to meet the ministerial candidate. More details to follow,
  • There will be two tours of candidates coming through in February. Claudia and Evanna walked through the building “with a new set of eyes” as if seeing the building for the first time. Pictures were taken and a Power Point presentation was shown. It was suggested that a committee be formed to “tidy” up the church.

Facilities- Robert Close

  • Robert, George K. and John Dunkle have been working together to do some upgrades to the church. They have been working on upgrading the bathrooms and bringing them up to code, painting the hallways and stairwells, changing the lighting, painting Emerson Hall and more.
  • The kitchen has been cleaned and organized. A new sign has been made for the kitchen.
  • All the church chandeliers have been dusted by Robert.
  • There is a plan forming to wash the church windows. Volunteers?

CO-OP schools: Sharron Nelson

  • Sharron will update the CO-OPS on what we discussed.

Budget- John Snyder

  • Handouts (budgets) were given to each of the committee leaders that were present. The handouts are to be filled out and given back to John in two weeks.

Music-Diane Toigo

  • Eli Sauls is officially permanent. He is doing a great job!
  • We are actively looking for a pianist.
  • The Cabaret will be April 4 at 7pm.It will be in Emerson Hall this year.
  • Music for Everyone concert will be May 16 at 3pm.

Lecture Committee-George K.

  • Would like to bring John Pavlovitch in late September for a workshop. The workshop would be Friday to Sunday. Other groups are welcome to partner with the lecture committee. More to follow.

Green Sanctuary-David Dobbins

  • Green sanctuary hosted coffee hour last month and it went very well.
  • Saturday February 29, Climate Victory Garden Seminar, three speakers will be coming
  • Partnering with Lancaster Conservatory for event March 18. Professor Doug Tallamy will present a talk on “Small things that matter in our universe.” This will be held at Willow Valley. You must register on line. Look for flyers in Emerson Hall for details.
  •  Annual Earth day celebration in May with plant sale.

Justice with Mercy-Holly Williams

  • Joan Sabatino from UUplan will be at UUCL March 22 to present talk on Social Criminal Justice. More info to follow.
  • Working on safety plan for the church.

Community Calendars and Website review-Linda Dobbins

  • There are 3 calendars for our church and community. This can lead to some conflicts. Stephanie and Quinn are working on this problem. In the meantime. Stephanie has created a spreadsheet to deal with this issue. The spreadsheet is not up and running yet.
  • It has been discussed that we have no mission statement. It was brought to our attention that the BOT made the decision to have the new minister help write the new mission statement.
  • Our bylaws are not on our new website. Laurie Thompson will look into this issue.

Our next meeting is April 1, 2020

Our facilitator will be Laurie Thompson

Our scribe is Marianne Smith (COM)

Leaders’ Circle Facilitators:  The leadership role will rotate.

COMMITTEELEADEREMAIL
Artful LivingEvanna Morrislele88@comcast.net
Auction CommitteeLaurie Thompsonlauriet0163@comcast.net
Children’s Faith Dev. CouncilLenore Bajare-Dukeslenore@uuclonline.org
Committee on MinistryMarianne SmithMariannesmith77@gmail.com
Development, Investments, & TrustsJohn Herrjherr@johnherrphoto.com
Dinner Go RoundFrederick & Cindy Foster-Clarkffccfc@verizon.net
Facilities CommitteeRobert Closerobert.just.iz@gmail.com
Financial Advisory CommitteeJohn Snyderjsnbarb@comcast.net
Green SanctuaryKyki Bobotasbkyki@yahoo.com
IT GroupAlan Jacobsitgroup@uuclonline.org
Justice with MercyLynn Millerlmm050855@gmail.com
Library CommitteeEmily Kleninklenin@ucla.edu
Lifespan Faith DevelopmentLenore Bajare-Dukeslenore@uuclonline.org
Membership CommitteeSusan Lithgoesusan.lithgoe@verizon.net
Music CommitteeDiane Toigo     dianetoigo@gmail.com
Operations TeamJohn Dunkleoperations@uuclonline.org
Pastoral AssociatesGarry LeFevrelefevregarry@gmail.com
Personnel CommitteeKay Weltykawcc@verizon.net
Racial Justice & HealingStephanie Santiagosjsantiago91@gmail.com
Sound TeamRobert Ulrichsound@uuclonline.org
StewardshipGeorge Herr-Riseriggynliza@msn.com
UshersCarol Myerscarol_myers2@verizon.net
Walters Garvin LectureTanis Garber-Shawtanisg213@gmail.com
Walters Trust
Wheel / LabyrinthLinda Dobbinsdldobbins44@yahoo.com
Worship AssociatesSharron Nelsonyorkshireden1@aol.com