Now Hiring: Childcare Providers
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Lancaster is seeking loving, inclusive childcare providers for Sunday morning’s nursery & occasional weekday evenings.
Must have experience with caring for young children, be responsible and timely, and ready to learn about offering a loving and welcoming environment for young children and their caregivers. UUCL is a pluralistic, liberal religious community striving for beloved community, diversity and inclusion. Familiarity with Unitarian Universalism or liberal religious communities is a plus. People of all faith backgrounds, racial and ethnic backgrounds, and sexual and gender identities and expressions are encouraged to apply. We pay $15 per hour.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Lancaster seeks responsible people with experience caring for children to build our team of nursery caregivers to provide a safe and nurturing environment for play and supervision for children in the Faith Development programs at UUCL (infants through approximately age 4). The nursery is a trusted place for parents to leave their children with qualified caregivers who provide stimulating activities and caring oversight. Caregivers report to UUCL’s Director of Lifespan Faith Development.
About UUCL: The Unitarian Universalist Church of Lancaster has been a leading voice of liberal religion in Lancaster for more than 100 years. Our congregation is an active, multigenerational community with a reputation for open acceptance, a commitment to personal growth, and a passion for justice. It is a place where members and friends from a variety of backgrounds and religious convictions join together to create a warm and friendly community. We are an LGBTQIA+ Welcoming Congregation. We seek applications from qualified people of all backgrounds who can commit to creating a space of respect, inclusion, and curiosity for the young children of UUCL.
Time Requirements: Nursery caregivers are expected to arrive on Sunday morning at 9:30am, or prior to the first activities, and stay until all children have been picked up (ranging from 11:30am to 12:30pm depending on Sunday activities). Sometimes, non-Sunday activities also require childcare opportunities for additional hours. A 90 day maximum mutual trial period will be set at the start of employment to see how new staff are working within the nursery environment.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- Experience working with children between the ages of 0 and 4.
- Friendly, able and willing to interact with children in a way that conveys respect and nurturing.
- Dependability and teamwork in working and communicating with church staff, families, and nursery volunteers.
- Experience with neurodiverse children (Autism, ADHD) is a plus. Understanding of first aid is a plus.
- Must pass the following clearances within 2 weeks of offer: Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint clearance. The cost for these clearances will be reimbursed.
- Must sign the Code of Ethics and Approved Adult Review of Legal Disqualifiers forms.
- Age 15 or older.
- 3 references to be provided.
- Provide dependable, nurturing, safe, and active care for the children in the nursery.
- Lead age-appropriate activities as per conversation with supervisor and team, including cheerfully interacting with children in play, song, and/or stories; changing diapers and escorting to the bathroom; and supervising snacks.
- Maintain a safe environment, including following UUCL’s current COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Maintain a courteous, friendly, and cooperative relationship with each child’s family.
- Keep informed of medical needs and allergies of any children (found inside classroom cabinet).
- In the event of an emergency, notify the DLFD and/or parent via the communication system.
- Participate in the yearly safety policy training held at the start of each church year.
- Clean the nursery area after every session. On days with food, be sure that tables are wiped down, the floors are vacuumed, trash is taken outside, etc.
- Arrive on time and stay until the nursery is clean and all children have been picked up by the adult named on the child’s registration form. Accumulation of not showing up on time will be cause for a review, and if continued, for dismissal.
- Line up your own substitute should your availability change; communicate the change to your supervisor ahead of time.
- Respond to all emails regarding work within three days of the email’s sent date.
- Availability to work two Sundays per month minimum, including holidays, and occasional weeknights.
- Additional pay on the following holidays: New Year’s Eve or Day, Easter weekend, Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July day, Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, and Christmas Eve or Day.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and 3-5 bullet points about why you are interested in this position. Please put “UUCL – Childcare Position” in the subject heading. We are hiring on a rolling basis.
Last updated: January 2023